Monday, April 27, 2009

I am the builder of dams.

Let me give you a vauge idea of my property. There is a main building, which I live in, I wont tell you the rest but there is a creek in my back yard. So, I built a dam. There is already a loose dam built of large bolders, but it has massive holes and is ineffective, so I made mini dams to plug it up, most are built out of little pieces of stone, but the biggest gap could not be filled with rocks. So I devised a basic blue print for a wooden one, I did not have much resources so its was to be constructed out of scrap wood and no binding agents (glue, nails, screws, etc.). It is a friction based dam, as long as there is enough water pressure the dam is held tight. It is a very primitive, but highly effective and cost effective design. After drawing up my plan, I went to work. Finding scrap wood and such. I first laid a long beam across the gap. I then put slats of wood across the expanse. The design was highly effective and raised the water level about six inches, I considered it a mild success. However the thin pieces of wood were simply not strong enough to withstand the weight of the water, and unfortunately caved. The next day I build another dam, using the same blueprints. This time I found think treated lumber to use. I also found another, stronger beam to stretch across the gap. I wished I could have used two beams, but the only other one long enough was lost in the collapse of the first. The wood was stronger and I placed my materials more carefully this time, the result was far more of a success than the first. The water lever was raised a foot and a half. I also place gravel at the base of the dam to prevent the wood from being knocked off balance by rising water. Today however, strong thunderstorms threaten to topple the dam, so I dismantled it in an effort to spare it from destruction. While the dam was designed to work more efficiently at higher water pressure, I was afraid the oncoming flood would set the dam off balance due to only using one cross beam and the fact the the wall lumber was tall and awkward. I also feared that the wood would not be strong enough to hold back the torrents of water expected to hit our region. I will take this as a chance to redesign the dam. Two cross beams will strengthen the structure and allow for more balance. Smaller 2"x4"s will plug the sides and hold back more water. I will keep you updated when V3 of the dam has begun construction.

Pictures, will be taken of the thrid version.

0 comments: